Look at me growing up, y’all! I’m growing up and doing a real blog hop! This one is started by That Red Mare.
1. Mares or Geldings? Why?
Duh. Geldings. I’ve just always clicked with geldings.
2. Green-broke or Fully Broke?
Currently, fully broke. I’m a little afraid to hop on a greenie because the ankle is still healing.
3. Would you own a “hotter” breed (ie. Arabian, Trakhener, etc).
Eh… I should say no, but my friend Eliza has two half-bred Arabs and I adore them. Well, one of them I adore, and the other one I fear but he’s super talented so I respect the hell out of him. So, I guess I would own it if it’s diluted. A lot.
4. What was your “dream horse” growing up?
When I was young and uneducated, Arabians. When I was hardcore into equitation, it was a bay Dutch Warmblood gelding with lots of chrome. Now, it’s an OTTB with lots of chrome. I like chrome.
5. What kind of bit(s) do you use and why?
D-rings, preferably French link. Soft and easy, get the job done, look pretty!
6. Helmets or no helmets?
Always helmets! Although, I have been guilty of the occasional ride without one… But after just writing a huge assignment for this on helmet safety, definitely 100% helmets.
7. Favorite horse color?
Bays, grays, and palominos.
8. Least favorite horse color?
9. Dressage or Jumping?
10. How many years have you been riding?
Since I was 8… Almost fifteen years. God bless.
11. Spurs/whip or no spurs/whip?
I at least challenge myself to school without but if the horse needs it, I’ll use both. I’m more comfortable with crops though.
12. Your first fall?
I was at my first year of camp. My instructor had been all over my back about sitting up over the jump for my own good. On this particular jump, she told me (and this is a direct quote) “If you don’t sit up, you’re going to fall off.” Well, the horse I was riding, India, jumped very downhill. And over a 2′ vertical, off I popped. I was totally fine, but one of the barn managers was salty towards me for ruining the session without injuries. Whoops!
13. When was the last time you rode and what did you do?
I last rode a couple weeks ago. Courtney was trying to rebuild my endurance with more trot work. Looks like I’ll be starting at square one all over again.
14. Most expensive piece of tack?
My saddle barely beats my GPA. (Which is sad. But GPAs are so nice and I refuse to buy an expensive saddle until I can afford a custom saddle for my horse… At some point.)
15. How old were you when you started riding?
8 years old. Although technically my first ride was when I was 4 on a horse named Sharkie and I cried and my dad had to take me home.
16. Nylon or leather halters?
Ummmm leather is super pretty, but…
17. Leather or Synthetic saddles?
Leather. All the way.
18. What “grip” of reins do you like?
Rubber for jumpers, laced for everything else.
19. English or Western?
20. How many horses do you currently own/lease?
21. Do you board your horse? Self-care/full board? Home board?
22. Have you ever had to put down a horse that you loved?
Heartbreaking, but yes.
23. How many saddle pads do you have?
I can hear Amanda shrieking at me. But I think it’s like 20 something now hahahahaha.
24. Slant-load trailer or straight haul?
Straight. Preferably box stall, but straight.
25. Why do you ride?
Because horses are amazing and I love the bond I have with them. It’s a silent partnership, but it’s so amazing how much trust exists between the two of us. That’s something no one will ever take from me.